March 2 is deadline for moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat and wild bison applications
by Wyoming Game & Fish
January 27, 2015
The nonresident elk deadline for this year will end on February 2 and the next upcoming deadline for both resident and nonresident hunters is March 2 when applications must be in for moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat and wild bison.
The deadline is March 2 this year because February 28 is on a weekend. When deadlines fall on weekend dates the Wyoming Game and Fish Department accepts applications through midnight on the next business day.
Bison hunters are reminded that as with last year, applicants are required to submit the full license fee at the time of application as is required for all other species. The license fees for a Wyoming resident are $263 for a female/ calf wild bison license and $413 for the any wild bison license. The nonresident license fees are $1,022 for a female/calf wild bison license and $2,522 for the any wild bison license.
Hunters can only apply online through the Game and Fish website wgfd.wyo.gov. The paper application process has been phased out as the online application process has proven to be much more efficient and accurate than paper applications and is easier for hunters to ensure their applications are received in advance of the deadline date. It has contributed to a substantial cost savings over the old process.
Drawing odds vary depending on species and hunt area. Preference points have been available for both moose and bighorn sheep for 19 years and 75 percent of the quotas for each species are issued in the preference point drawing. The remaining 25 percent is issued in a random drawing without regard for preference point totals. Preference points are not available for mountain goat licenses, but goat licenses are limited to one in a lifetime.
Hunters can research drawing odds from previous years for the various species and hunt areas on the Game and Fish website wgfd.wyo.gov. Hunters who choose not to apply this year can still purchase a preference point online from July 1 – September 30.