Notice of Green River Valley Cattlewomen's Beef Ambassador Contest
Beef Ambassador Program for youth age 16-20
by Green River Valley Cattewomen
January 26, 2015
The Green River Valley Cattewomen (GRVC) are sponsoring a student from each Big Piney and Pinedale to attend the Wyoming Cattle Women Beef Ambassador contest in Casper during March, 2015. The student from each community chosen will receive $300. The student needs to let the GRVC know if they are competing by February 20, 2015 and then present to the GRVC at the Annual Meeting on March 7. For more information, contact Kailey Barlow at 307-260-6409 or Jonita Sommers at 307-360-8023. Below is more information about the contest:
MISSION STATEMENT: The Wyoming Beef Ambassador Program provides an opportunity for youth to become spokespersons and future leaders for the beef industry.
OVERALL GOAL: Utilize the Wyoming Beef Ambassadors to provide information about beef’s nutrition, safety and convenience to consumers. Provide producers with industry information, including facts about the Beef Checkoff Program.
PROGRAM SPONSORS: Wyoming Beef Council and the Wyoming CattleWomen, Inc.
ELIGIBILITY: Contestants must be at least 16 years of age by September 1, 2014, but not over the age of 20 by September 1, 2014.
AWARDS: Cash awards are presented to the top three places. The awards are based upon fulfillment of requirements and are subject to change. The top scorer will be eligible to attend the National Beef Ambassador Competition in Denver, CO in Sept of 2014 (In the event there is only one competitor at the Wyoming competition, it will be at the judge’s discretion as to whether the winner will attend the national competition.)
1ST PLACE $500.00
2ND PLACE $400.00
3RD PLACE $300.00
The title Wyoming Beef Ambassador Team will refer to the competitors placing first, second, and third at the Wyoming Beef Ambassador Competition as determined by the judge’s scores. The Wyoming Beef Ambassador Team will be the official youth representatives of the Wyoming CattleWomen, Inc. [WCW]. The term of the Wyoming Beef Ambassador Team will be for one year beginning April 5, 2014 and ending March 31, 2015. The Wyoming Beef Ambassador Team is expected to conduct themselves in a professional, mature manner and to represent WCW in a positive light.
STATEMENT OF REQUIREMENTS
1. Attend the Wyoming Stock Growers/Wyoming Cattlewomen’s summer or winter conference.
2. Assist with the booth at State Fair.
3. Take the Masters of Beef Advocacy (MBA) program through the National Cattleman’s Beef Association (NCBA).
4. 2 educational events
5. 2 consumer events
6. 2 media events – ie media interview, letter to the editor or post on blogs
State competition will consist of 3 requirements:
1. - Issues Response - Upon receipt of entry forms, contestants will be mailed a recently published news article regarding the beef industry. Each contestant will write a brief (250 words or less) editorial response to the article which will be turned in on the day of the competition. Each contestant will bring 6 copies of the response with them. Judges will score the contestants on their ability to respond to an industry article by thoughtfully answering questions, identifying misinformation and listing positive consumer information.
2. - Media Interview - The contestant will participate in a mock media interview. The interviewer will have pre-determined questions to ask each contestant with the option to ask follow-up questions in order to extrapolate additional knowledge or clarify a point. A panel of judges will observe the interaction for: knowledge, articulation, poise and the contestant's ability to "Tell the Beef Production Story" and present the industry in a positive light. Scoring will be done by the judges only. The contestants should be well versed in all areas of beef production and the beef industry relating to consumers. Special attention should be paid to all current industry issues.
3. - Quiz – This will test your knowledge of the beef industry. Check out the websites www.explorebeef.org or www.beef.org for factual information concerning the beef industry.