Rocky Mountain Power gives tips on how to stay safe while preparing for your Thanksgiving feast
by Rocky Mountain Power
November 22, 2017
Rocky Mountain Power wants to make sure safety is on the menu this Thanksgiving, as kitchen accidents are a leading cause of fires and home injuries.
Keeping an eye on the stove, staying in the home while food is in the oven and keeping children a safe distance away from cooking appliances are paramount in kitchen safety.
In addition, there are a number of electrical safety steps that sometimes can get overlooked but are key in staying safe as you prepare for Thanksgiving Day feasting.
• DON’T fight a grease or electrical fire with water. Smother the fire with a pot lid and always have a fire extinguisher available.
• DON’T overload your electrical outlets.
• DO unplug any unused appliances that could accidentally be turned and left on.
• DO replace any appliances with frayed cords to avoid electrical shock.
• DO locate all appliances away from the sink. Remember, water and electricity do not mix.
• DON’T use extension cords with major appliances.